Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Ecotrons ECU Kit - GX200 Conversion


After almost a year, I finally had a chance to fire up my new engine project!













I'll start off by saying how easy it was to convert my GX200 to electronic fuel injection with the Ecotrons EFI kit.  With this engine project, I wanted to use as many off-the-shelf and properly sized parts as possible.  After finding the Ecotrons kit online and doing a bit of research, I decided to buy the kit since it came with all of the parts that I had a hard time making or finding with my first engine project.

There is no specific kit for the GX200, so I ended up getting a GY6 kit (including the throttle body) since I only needed to make a simple adapter to mount it.












The only other part I needed to make was a bracket for the crank position sensor.  It is basically a 3" 'L' bracket that uses the magneto mounting points for positioning and a centered hole for the crank sensor.

I received a lot of requests to assemble a conversion kit after I posted the video of my first engine project, but the parts were all one-offs that would be very difficult and time consuming to duplicate. So, for those of you wanting to convert a GX200 (or other small engine) to EFI, I suggest that you to look at the Ecotrons EFI kit.

           Small Engine EFI conversion Kit

The kit overall is well built. The ECU and CDI are both potted, and all of the electrical connectors have solid locking mechanisms. Although the fuel pressure is fairly low, I would have preferred to have a barb on the fuel pump outlet and fuel. pressure regulator connector since I did manage to pull off the hose running to the fuel pressure regulator with only a slight snag. Other than that, I have had no issues with the kit. Support is also very good with Matt Lee @ Ecotrons returning my emails quickly.

Ecotrons ECU Kit - GX200 EFI Conversion

 

10 comments:

  1. Reckon this'd work on a GX390 without mods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave. The two things I think you need to make is an adapter for the intake manifold (the one I used had a GY6 mount), and a small 'L' bracket to mount the hall effect sensor in place of the magneto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Respected Sir,
    We are group of students working on a car project from Mumbai,India.For this project we bought a Honda GX35 engine and Ecotrons SE-EFI kit with the hall sensor.coil and CDI box.We have done all the wirings according to the manual but we have issues with the placement of the hall sensor as to exactly how should it be placed on the flywheel so sir would you please help us in solving this issue.
    Your suggestions are very important to us .
    Thanking you,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I put the hall effect sensor in place of the magneto. It was mounted to an aluminum "L" bracket and secured using the hole/bolt locations of the magneto. One note: If you plan on using the hall effect sensor that came with the kit, you should contact Matt @ Ecotrons to make sure you have the ECU parameters changed. The magnet configuration on these engines end up producing two pulses instead of one each time the magnet passes over it. If you hook up a scope to the output signal of the sensor, you will see what I mean. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    We tried to contact him but he is very slow in replying and we have a certain deadline to follow so we need someone who can help us out quickly.We have done all the wirings properly and also we hear pump running for few seconds when the switch is turned on. I would like to know what changes should be made in the calibrations to just start the engine and also we would be very thankful if you can upload the photos of mounting of hall sensor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sirs,
    We are a research group of tor Vergata University and we have a copy of the Honda GX 200. We have bought the Ecotrons EFI kit and in the next week we are going to convert this engine. In the next period we will write about our experience.
    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey man i have a gx200 right now on a little frame but i put a turbo on it with a stock gy6 carb made a pulse fitting then ran the breather off that into the top of the gy6 carb and for a decent amount of boost with WOT after i let off to try getting a idle the thrbo pretty much ran away i was wonderring if one of these Ecotrons EFi kit would help us with boosting
    or if you know a way i can properly run boost through a carb either stock carb or Gy6 carb anf i also have a kx80 two stroke carb to but i cant figure out how to make them blow thru turbo im running is a TD02-07G turbocharger let me know if you can help me out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. forgot to add you can find my turbo videos here https://www.youtube.com/user/ChiefyBeats

    ReplyDelete
  9. At the time I got my Ecotrons kit there was an option to get a MAP sensor with a wider range meant for bossted application. I believe they are still selling this kit with that option.

    I'm not that familiar with carb based setups, but I believe you can set them up with either the carb mounted before the turbo (draw thru), or the carb mounted after the turbo (blow thru). Draw thru should be the easiest to set up. The turbo gets mounted between your carb and intake and works the same way as a normally aspirated engine: more vacuum, more air/fuel draw. I think the blow thru setup is a bit trickier to set up. Normal carbs are meant to work with a negative pressure airflow (i.e. always under vacuum). Now that the turbo is supplying positive air pressure, the bowel of the carb needs to be pressurized as well. This is done by running a line from the turbo charge pipe (before the plenum) to the carb. This allows the float bowel to always see a higher pressure than the carb's venturi. Again, only read about this, never tried it myself.

    ReplyDelete