Saturday, March 15, 2014

Sieg X2 CNC Mill Conversion

A few years ago I bought a Sieg X2 from Harbor Freight in the US with the intention of converting it to CNC.  I couldn't pass up buying it for $400 when the equivalent mill sold locally at Princess Auto and Busy Bee Tools for almost double the price.


It sat idle for a couple of years because something always came up that prevented me from working on it.  Finally, at the end of last year I started to piece together a plan of how to complete the conversion.  There are a couple of bolt-on kits that you can purchase, but I figured it would be an interesting project to try and assemble it from scratch.

The first things I purchased were the three ball screws and ball nuts to control the movement.  I ended up buying them on eBay from Asia Engineer, along with couplers and six thrust bearings for $180 CAD.



Next was to disassemble the mill so that I could begin fitting the ballscrews.  I started with the X-axis since I thought it would be the easiest to modify since I could re-use the end plate that houses the thrust bearings.






After a bit of work with a Dremel, I managed to cut down the ballnut enough to clear the channel.  One thing I didn't realize was that there was an exposed grease hole that was now filled with metal filings.  I had no choice but to disassemble and clean it... a complete pain.


I managed to find a good deal on the stepper motors (425oz-in), drivers, and breakout board from eBay for $325 CAD from wantaimotor.  The motors are more than sufficient, and the drivers look very well made with aluminum heat sinks.


Not having the right tools for metal work made this job a bit harder.  All of the motor mounts and aluminum work was done with a hack saw, Dremel tool and a drill press.  If I only had a mill to make the parts, things would be so much easier :)






Next I worked on the Y-axis.  Before starting the fitting, I needed to open up the throat so that I would not lose any travel since the new ballnut was larger than the original leadscrew nut.


 
Both the Y and Z-axis needed to have the thrust bearing housing made along with the motor mount.  With the proper tools, this would be easy to make out of a solid piece of aluminum, but I needed to come up with different approach that would not require any milling.  I ended up making the housing out of three separate pieces of aluminum.



A hole saw in a drill press was used to cut the larger holes on the two outside pieces of aluminum.  Smaller screws held the three pieces together until the main mounting bolts sandwiched the pieces securely.  Duplicating this setup one more time for the Z-axis, and all three ballscrews and motors were mounted.






Some details about the Z axis of the machine.  There is a plate attached to the top of the Z column that extends off to the right side of the machine by about 3 inches, and extends forwards (towards you if you are facing the machine) about 1 1/2 inches. This is where the Z axis stepper motor mount is located. 


Underneath the 1 1/2 inch overhang is another plate that is attached to the top of the Z axis saddle. This is where the ball nut is attached. Its basically the same as the Y axis, except instead of the motor and rod being centered with the saddle, it runs off to the side. 

 


Instead of buying a separate enclosure for the electronics, I ended up mounting the drivers, power supply and breakout board inside the mid-tower case and added an extra fan for cooling.






Today I had a chance to test out the mill by having it draw out the sample file that comes with Linux CNC.  Even though the pen was vibrating quite a bit, and stumbled a few times with direction changes, it does demonstrate the capability of the mill.





Sieg X2 Mini Mill CNC Conversion - First Run

12 comments:

  1. Hey Mark I am looking to contact you. Can you please get me your email address? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say that your post here is helping me with my own build. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mark. Im in Toronto and wanted to CNC my princess auto x2 mill. The ebay seller asia engineer is no longer selling anything so i was wondering if you can help me with the parts you ordered. what size ballscrews did you order? Couplers? Thrust washers? Is there anything else I might need? i ordered the 4 axis nema 23 motor kit from longs on ebay, just not sure what else I need. CncFusion apparently is not responding to anyone anymore so Im stuck
    Thank You in advance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tommy. The ballscrews/ballnuts are 1605s. Thrust washers sizing will depend on how the ballscrews are machined. The ones I bought had a M12 thread, so the thrust bearings I bought were 12mm. Couplers, again depends on the machined end of the ballscrew and size of the motor shaft. The machined end on mine were 10mm, and the motor shaft 6.35mm, so the coupler was 10mm to 6.35mm. Other than these pieces, the rest I had to make. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for the rapid reply. I ordered the cncfusion kit and realised that they dont respond anymore so it looks like i have to build the kit myself. Wasn't sure everything involved but following your steps makes things a whole lot easier.
    oh yeah, as far as the ballscrews go, what size length did you order for x,y,z? And i noticed no limit switches. it's been a few years now, were you happy with the conversion? was there any backlash problems?
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ended up ordering 2 x 300mm and 1 x 400mm. I ended up using one 300mm for the X, the other two I ended up shortening. Before ordering, figure out if you will be happy with stock travel, or if you want to extend it. Stock, the Sieg X2 has X=8", Y=4", Z=8". On my mill the Z axis is stock, the X axis is 12" and just recently (6 months ago) I extended the Y to 6". So far I can't complain with the conversion. I've milled ABS and aluminum parts for my car and bike with no issues. For what I'm doing, backlash hasn't been a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent! exactly what i was hoping to hear! I do want to increase all my axis (x,y mainly) so it's something im going to research now before i put my order in.
    Thanks again for all the info.
    all the best
    tommy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really cool article. I would like to share also my one of the favorite article best mini mill .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post. I be taught one thing more challenging on totally different blogs everyday. It will all the time be stimulating to learn content from other writers and apply slightly one thing from their store. I’d desire to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a hyperlink on your net blog. Thanks for sharing. Maijin metal

    ReplyDelete
  10. I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Proceed to keep up the excellent operate. I just extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. In search of ahead to studying extra from you in a while!… cnc turning

    ReplyDelete